Thursday, June 30, 2011

A particular lack of images

The past few posts have been fairly wordy and have had no images, so I'm going to put some pretty pictures in this one.

So you're probably wondering what's happening in this picture. Well it's a scene depicting Dagoth Ur and the camera positioning is supposed to show his empowerment over Vvardenfe... Oh. The Tileset Editor.

Well basically my placeholder sprite Vivi can move around our tileset that we used in the tutorials over at XNA Resources (a link to the right). I finally got the code working for the camera/player interaction.



So basically what we were trying to accomplish is make the camera move with the player but when the camera reaches any edge, the player can keep moving until it collides with the edge. Then when the player collides with the center of the screen, the camera should start following the player again, until it reaches another edge.

It took us a little while and there is surely a simpler way of doing this, but I'm pretty proud to say that it's working now. We're looking at doing a few more tutorials on the site and we've spoken with a co-worker of ours (Zach) to see about possibly making some tilesets and character sprites. We'll see where this goes!

Obviously we have a long way to go before we can really begin a full-fledged project the right way, but everyone keeps telling us to jump in so I'm pretty sure that's what we'll continue to do.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there,
    I found your blog via /r/gamedev. Just like the two of you I'm new to game programming and I'm just learning my way around, currently teaching myself Java (after finishing a basic course at University last year). Your work so far looks great and I'll definately check back here to read updates on your progress.

    Cheers, Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear from another up-and-comer! Hope your progress is going well. I glanced through your blog, but the only language I know is English so I didn't really understand much. Keep me updated on how your progress goes!

    ReplyDelete